[gnutls-dev] autoconf version handling

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Sun Apr 22 14:35:14 CEST 2007

Timo Schulz <twoaday at gmx.net> writes:

>>  And test how well older GnuTLS releases deals with OpenCDK 0.6.0.
>
> Probably not very good due to some changed prototypes.

I'll check this.

> But IMHO it should be no problem that older releases use the so lib
> version 8 (or better 9 for a more recent version) and the newest
> gnutls will use version 10. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Right.  However, the problem is the opencdk.h header file.
Distributors can't ship /usr/include/opencdk.h from both 0.5.x and
0.6.x at the same time.

Is there no possibility to rename the APIs that changed in 0.6 and
provide a backwards compatibility glue under the old function name?

This isn't a critical problem, but it is always nicer if newer
versions retains source-code backwards compatibility (i.e., 0.6
opencdk.h + 0.6 libopencdk.so against 0.5 application) even when the
ABI is bumped.