[gnutls-dev] autoconf version handling

Timo Schulz twoaday at gmx.net
Sun Apr 22 16:34:50 CEST 2007

Simon Josefsson wrote:

> Right.  However, the problem is the opencdk.h header file.
> Distributors can't ship /usr/include/opencdk.h from both 0.5.x and
> 0.6.x at the same time.

True, I did not think of this issue.

> Is there no possibility to rename the APIs that changed in 0.6 and
> provide a backwards compatibility glue under the old function name?

This is not a trivial task and I don't think it can be done easily.
And I'm not sure if there is a clean way to provide 100% backward
compatibility.

> This isn't a critical problem, but it is always nicer if newer
> versions retains source-code backwards compatibility (i.e., 0.6
> opencdk.h + 0.6 libopencdk.so against 0.5 application) even when the

I agree on that. But the opencdk API needed urgently a cleanup and I
thought the sooner the better so applications, especially GnuTLS, can
be migrated as soon as possible.

	Timo