Pinentry programs not offering to save passwords

Mihir Rabade mihirrabade at gmail.com
Sun Oct 13 10:32:01 CEST 2024

 Hello!

I have configured git commit signing, which uses gpg. While trying to
commit, a pinentry gui popup comes up where I enter the password for my gpg
key.
I also configured KeepassXC's Freedesktop secret service integration to
save passwords after disabling kwallet & uninstalling gnome keyring.
Installed apps are correctly querying the API & keepassxc notifies which
process queried for password. (For eg Neochat, VS Code, Zed editor, etc)

Now my issue is, that pinentry program is not offering to save passwords.
Nor does it query for gpg password.
This was working perfectly in KDE Neon with pinentry-gnome3.
But not Fedora 40 or EndeavourOS. I even tried other pinentry programs
(-gtk, -qt, -tty, -qt5, -gnome3...), but all of them ask for password on
prompt and none offer to save password.

I have even asked on respective OS forums:
https://forum.endeavouros.com/t/pinentry-program-not-offering-to-save-password/60456
https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/pinentry-programs-not-offering-to-save-passwords/132129

But no luck.

I'm currently using Endeavour OS & the pinentry version installed is 1.3.1-5

Any solutions on how to get any pinentry program to save passwords in
secret service?