Pinentry programs not offering to save passwords

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Oct 13 21:58:00 CEST 2024

On Sonntag, 13. Oktober 2024 10:32:01 MESZ Mihir Rabade via Gnupg-users wrote:
> I have configured git commit signing, which uses gpg. While trying to
> commit, a pinentry gui popup comes up where I enter the password for my gpg
> key.
> I also configured KeepassXC's Freedesktop secret service integration to
> save passwords after disabling kwallet & uninstalling gnome keyring.
> Installed apps are correctly querying the API & keepassxc notifies which
> process queried for password. (For eg Neochat, VS Code, Zed editor, etc)
>
> Now my issue is, that pinentry program is not offering to save passwords.
> Nor does it query for gpg password.
> This was working perfectly in KDE Neon with pinentry-gnome3.
> But not Fedora 40 or EndeavourOS. I even tried other pinentry programs
> (-gtk, -qt, -tty, -qt5, -gnome3...), but all of them ask for password on
> prompt and none offer to save password.

The possibility to use a password manager via the secret service API is
available in pinentry-qt*. I don't know anything about the others.

Are you using KDE Plasma? In this case you will have to set the environment
variable PINENTRY_KDE_USE_WALLET to a non-empty value. By default, pinentry-
qt* will disable support for secret service if it detects that it's running in
KDE Plasma to prevent a deadlock with KWallet using gpg to protect the
passwords.

Regards,
Ingo