[gnutls-help] Guile-Gnutls bindings to separate git repo?

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Wed Oct 5 15:30:04 CEST 2022

Ludovic Courtès <ludo at gnu.org> writes:

> Hi Simon,
>
> Simon Josefsson <simon at josefsson.org> skribis:
>
>> The GnuTLS developers talked about separating the Guile bindings for
>> GnuTLS into a separate git repository,
>
> Heh, good to know.

Hi.  Sorry, I should have qualified that as _some_ GnuTLS developers,
thus not speaking for everyone.

>> with the advantages being 1) simplify core GnuTLS maintenance and
>> reduce complexity, 2) allow a separate release schedule for
>> guile-gnutls.  What do you think?  Is there any disadvantage with
>> this?  I'm happy to (co-?)create a guile-gnutls repository and do a
>> first release of it to get the ball rolling.
>
> I think the repository layout has to mirror the social construct.
> Having the bindings within GnuTLS was IMO a strength at a time when
> there was cohesion.  Nowadays, it seems like it’s become a hindrance to
> everyone involved so separating the bindings sounds like a reasonable
> choice.

Right, I sadly agree with this, wishing some things were different.

> I’ll happily take your offer to create the initial repo if it still
> holds.  :-)

Certainly.  Is gitlab.com/gnutls a suitable place for this (do you have
a gitlab.com username?), or should we try to move it to savannah or some
other place?  Do you know if someone other than you are likely to work
on guile-gnutls soon?  The guile/ contributors list is short: