[gnutls-help] Guile-Gnutls bindings to separate git repo?

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Tue Oct 4 20:19:38 CEST 2022

Hi Simon,

Simon Josefsson <simon at josefsson.org> skribis:

> The GnuTLS developers talked about separating the Guile bindings for
> GnuTLS into a separate git repository,

Heh, good to know.

> with the advantages being 1) simplify core GnuTLS maintenance and
> reduce complexity, 2) allow a separate release schedule for
> guile-gnutls.  What do you think?  Is there any disadvantage with
> this?  I'm happy to (co-?)create a guile-gnutls repository and do a
> first release of it to get the ball rolling.

I think the repository layout has to mirror the social construct.
Having the bindings within GnuTLS was IMO a strength at a time when
there was cohesion.  Nowadays, it seems like it’s become a hindrance to
everyone involved so separating the bindings sounds like a reasonable
choice.

I’ll happily take your offer to create the initial repo if it still
holds.  :-)

The Guile-Gcrypt bindings have been maintained separately since their
inception and it’s worked rather well.

Thanks for your message!

Ludo’.