[gnutls-help] make check

Alice Wonder alice at librelamp.com
Tue Jan 8 01:03:04 CET 2019

On 1/7/19 10:28 AM, Catonano wrote:
> Hello,
>
> running make check, I get this

>    CCLD     cipher-test
>    CC       cipher-api-test.o
>    CCLD     cipher-api-test
>    CC       cipher_override-cipher-override.o
>    CCLD     cipher-override
> /usr/bin/ld: cipher_override-cipher-override.o: undefined reference to
> symbol 'nettle_aes_encrypt@@NETTLE_6'
> /home/catonano/opt/lib/libnettle.so.6: error adding symbols: DSO missing
> from command line
> Makefile:1756: recipe for target 'cipher-override' failed
> make[3]: *** [cipher-override] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving directory
> '/home/catonano/projects/gnutls/gnutls/tests/slow'
> Makefile:2173: recipe for target 'check-am' failed
> make[2]: *** [check-am] Error 2
> make[2]: Leaving directory
> '/home/catonano/projects/gnutls/gnutls/tests/slow'
> Makefile:7384: recipe for target 'check-recursive' failed
> make[1]: *** [check-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/catonano/projects/gnutls/gnutls/tests'
> Makefile:1540: recipe for target 'check-recursive' failed
> make: *** [check-recursive] Error 1
>
> I think I'm going to install it anyway, in my $HOME/opt location
>
> I'm going to use it as a dependency for some Guile based projects and
> the Guile bindings are all I am interested in
>
> I just wanted to let you know
>
> Having the tests pass would be nice anyway
>
> Thanks !

My guess (and just a guess) is that it is linking against shared libs
not in the ld.so.conf path.

On my system (Linux) I have nettle istalled in /opt/gnutls as the prefix
and I have a file /etc/ld.so.conf.d/gnutls.conf containing:

# For updated gnutls libraries
/opt/gnutls/lib64

(lib64 is a 64-bit redhat thing)

then ldconfig knows where they are and they can be dynamically loaded as
needed.