[Help-gnutls] Parsing certificate extensions and issuer alt names

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at gnutls.org
Mon Jul 13 08:33:48 CEST 2009

Brad Hards wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to provide a GnuTLS backend for the Qt Cryptographic Architecture.
>
> It is going OK (not really "going well", but I'm still making progress).
>
> I have a question about how to parse out something that doesn't really have
> support in GnuTLS. My need at the moment is to handle OID 2.5.29.32
> (Certificate Policies) and OID 2.5.29.18 (Issuer Alternative Name).
>
> Issuer Alt Name is very similar to Subject Alt Name.
>
> So far, I think I need to use gnutls_x509_crt_get_extension_by_oid() to get
> the ASN.1, and then I need to decode it. Its the decoding bit that I'm
> uncertain about.

Hello,

Actually I think it might be much easier to do that inside gnutls by
extending get_subject_alt_name() to be able to accept the OID as
parameter to parse the 2.5.29.18 extension as well. Then would be easy
to submit a gnutls_x509_crt_get_issuer_alt_name that can be added to gnutls.

> I had no idea about how to start the Certificate Policies.

For that you might want to see dn.c:gnutls_x509_rdn_get function that
parses the rdnSequence of PKIX. It is mostly libtasn1 stuff you'd need
but indeed the policies extension looks not to be the easier structure
to parse.