[gnutls-devel] GnuTLS | Draft: lib/priority: add a [includes] section and file-optional/file-required keys (!1849)

Read-only notification of GnuTLS library development activities gnutls-devel at lists.gnutls.org
Thu Jul 18 04:02:13 CEST 2024

Daiki Ueno commented: https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/-/merge_requests/1849#note_2004694033

A couple of questions if we go with that design:
- Is `system-priority-directory`/`GNUTLS_SYSTEM_PRIORITY_DIRECTORY` mutually exclusive with `system-priority-file`/`GNUTLS_SYSTEM_PRIORITY_FILE`?
- What is the actual behavior of merging multiple configurations?
  - What happens if there is a configuration option with a same key: would it be overridden, the previous value wins, or even the behavior itself is controllable?

Before jumping in on the design and implementation, I would suggest that we should clarify the use-cases.

For example:
- The default configuration file (provided by the distro) doesn't enable KTLS, but I want to enable it in my own configuration file by adding `global.ktls = true` → This is totally fine
- The default configuration file still allows SHA-1 for signatures, while it's not recommended. I want to disable it in my own configuration file by adding `insecure-hash = SHA1` → This is fine, but wouldn't work if the default configuration file uses the allowlisting mode (`global.override-mode = allowlist`)
- The default configuration file does not allow SHA-1 for signatures, but I want to enable it back in my own configuration file by adding `secure-hash = SHA1` → This needs more consideration, and would only work if the default configuration file uses the allowlisting mode

Do you have any specific scenario you want to support with this?