[gnutls-devel] moving to gitlab

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Thu Mar 5 09:06:12 CET 2015

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos <nmav at gnutls.org> skribis:

> On Wed, 2015-03-04 at 21:33 +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos <nmav at gnutls.org> skribis:

>> > These were not migrated. Send me your username in gitlab and I'll add
>> > you.
>> There’s another issue I just learned: gitlab.com runs “GitLab Enterprise
>> Edition,” which is non-free.
>> Have you considered other options?  Jason Self lists a few:
>> <http://jxself.org/goodbye-gitorious.shtml>.
>
> I understand the concerns but I don't agree with disqualifying a service
> if it runs non-free software. I don't believe that a free service on the
> Internet must adhere to my rules for the software it runs. I'd like if
> there is a free software version of the service software, but even then
> it would be only theoretical as I have no resources to deploy it.

You are right that it’s a service, so the concerns are different.

Yet, I personally don’t want to endorse a service that runs non-free
software when there free software alternatives (and good ones, even.)
I don’t know yet what I will migrate to, but not to gitlab.com.

> Nevertheless, if issue that you are trying to bring up is lock-in,
> given that the main software we rely on is git and not the fancy web
> interfaces, we can easily switch to another provider on the spot, as we
> do now with gitorious.

Exactly.  In that sense, moving back to Savannah would seem OK: it
doesn’t have the “fancy web interfaces,” but it has the things GnuTLS
cares about.  WDYT?

Thanks,
Ludo’.