[gnutls-devel] moving to gitlab

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at gnutls.org
Wed Mar 4 23:23:49 CET 2015

On Wed, 2015-03-04 at 21:33 +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos <nmav at gnutls.org> skribis:
>
> > On Wed, 2015-03-04 at 17:35 +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> >> How does that affect user accounts and permissions?
> >
> > These were not migrated. Send me your username in gitlab and I'll add
> > you.
> There’s another issue I just learned: gitlab.com runs “GitLab Enterprise
> Edition,” which is non-free.
> Have you considered other options?  Jason Self lists a few:
> <http://jxself.org/goodbye-gitorious.shtml>.

I understand the concerns but I don't agree with disqualifying a service
if it runs non-free software. I don't believe that a free service on the
Internet must adhere to my rules for the software it runs. I'd like if
there is a free software version of the service software, but even then
it would be only theoretical as I have no resources to deploy it.

Nevertheless, if issue that you are trying to bring up is lock-in,
given that the main software we rely on is git and not the fancy web
interfaces, we can easily switch to another provider on the spot, as we
do now with gitorious.