GnuTLS 3.0.0 a first look at reverse dependencies

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at gnutls.org
Fri Aug 19 21:23:29 CEST 2011

On 08/19/2011 07:41 PM, Andreas Metzler wrote:

> Hello, yesterday I have tried building all packages in
> Debian/unstable the build-depend on libgnutls-dev.

Hello Andreas,
 Thanks. If help is needed on the conversion of any of those
don't hesitate to ask.

> Most of the of the other build failures are not necessarily
> gnutls-related, the packages either already have non build errors or
>  the build-dependencies are not installable currently.
> ------------------------------ The gcrypt related errors seem to
> more difficult:
[...]
> 14 use some multithread related code (GCRY_THREAD_OPTION_*)[1]. A

If their only call of gcrypt is that, it could be put in an if-clause
like below (both the call and the header).

#if GNUTLS_VERSION_NUMBER <= 0x020b00
  gcry_control()
#endif

> surprising number of packages seem (my grep pattern might be off) to
>  really use gcrypt directly[2]

Those need to be linked with gcrypt as well and there is not much it can
be done. If their usage of gcrypt is simple (e.g. for a hash or a
cipher) they could use gnutls/crypto.h API instead. This is not really
required though, unless they don't want the direct gcrypt dependency.