GnuTLS 3.0.0 a first look at reverse dependencies

Andreas Metzler ametzler at downhill.at.eu.org
Fri Aug 19 19:41:10 CEST 2011

Hello,

yesterday I have tried building all packages in Debian/unstable the
build-depend on libgnutls-dev.

Out of 129 source packages 47 failed.

28 of these were triggered by failing to find gcrypt (#include
<gcrypt.h> or -lgcrypt). Because GnuTLS 3.0.0 does not use gcrypt as
backend, libgnutls-dev does not depend on libgcrypt11-dev anymore and
was therefore not automatically installed.

The 19 errors which are not gcrypt related seem to be not too hard:

2 break because GNUTLS_COMP_LZO was dropped (easily fixed, bugreport
will follow)
3 stumble upon missing gnutls_certificate_verify_peers (easily fixed,
bugreports were submitted some weeks ago.)
at least 1 will need to replace gnutls_certificate_get_x509_cas with
gnutls_certificate_get_issuer()

Most of the of the other build failures are not necessarily
gnutls-related, the packages either already have non build errors or
the build-dependencies are not installable currently.
------------------------------
The gcrypt related errors seem to more difficult:

Only 5 of these 28 are fixed trivially (bugs already submitted), they
link/include gcrypt without any need.

14 use some multithread related code (GCRY_THREAD_OPTION_*)[1]. A
surprising number of packages seem (my grep pattern might be off) to
really use gcrypt directly[2]

cu andreas
[1]
claws-mail-3.7.9