Nettle as default

Niels Möller nisse at lysator.liu.se
Mon Oct 11 12:50:04 CEST 2010

Werner Koch <wk at gnupg.org> writes:

> You are missing Libgcrypt; we have Serpent support for 7 years.

Great! Then the easiest way to make nettle LGPL all the way is to simply
replace Blowfish and Serpent by libgrypt's implementation.

What's the origin of libgcrypt's serpent implementation? The Serpent
code in Nettle is based on the original GPLed implementation by the
Serpent team (Ross Anderson, Eli Biham, and Lars Knudsen). When I mailed
them years ago they were unwilling to relicense it as LGPL (IIRC, for
practical rather than philosophical reasons).

Regards,
/Niels