Enhanced symbol versioning in 2.7.x

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Tue May 26 11:05:39 CEST 2009

Andreas Metzler <ametzler at downhill.at.eu.org> writes:

> Well I am not sure either. I know that *without* symbol versioning you
> get crashes due to symbol clashes whenever two different versions of
> the library are linked (indirectly) into a single binary. Versioning
> the symbols in the different library versions (I am always taling
> about sonames) protects against that. I *assume* you would have the
> same problem if the two versions of the library were using the same
> versioning, the symbols would clash.

Ah, good point.  Yes, that seems to suggest that whenever a soname bump
is done, you can no longer use the old version symbols.  That was rather
non-obvious to me.

Maybe a tutorial on "shared library versioning for maintainers" howto
would be useful, I don't think Uri's documentation is well suited for
that purpose.