GnuTLS 2.7.10 - release candidate 2 of GnuTLS 2.8.0

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Mon May 18 11:12:07 CEST 2009

Daniel Black <dragonheart at gentoo.org> writes:

> Folks,
>
>>Looking through the original 106542 bug report, I'm unsure what the real
>>problem was.
>
> was more building on embedded machines without a g++ compiler.
>
>>Detecting g++ but never using it does not hurt anything
>>(except a tiny performance price), as far as I understand.  Daniel, can
>>you test tomorrow's daily snapshot and see if it works for you?
>
> gnutls-20090518
>
> well it configures ok unless I don't have g++ installed which I do
> admit is an edge case.

What happens if you don't have g++ installed?  As far as I could tell,
AM_PROG_CXX should not fail in this situation, so building should work.
Isn't this the case?

>>It
>>seems clear now that we cannot run AC_PROG_CXX conditionally,
>
> Did you see this patch? is seems to account for the
> "configure: error: conditional "am__fastdepCXX" was never defined.:"
> error by defining it.
> from:
> https://savannah.gnu.org/support/?106542#comment3
> patch:
> https://savannah.gnu.org:443/file/gnutls-2.6.0-cxx-configure.in.patch?file_id=17234

That relies on internal magic in automake, so that's not something I'd
want to integrate.  I can try to come up with something better, or
report it as an automake bug, if I can understand better what the real
problem is (see above).