Libtasn1 2.0 release candidate

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Tue Mar 24 22:29:08 CET 2009

Andreas Metzler <ametzler at downhill.at.eu.org> writes:

> On 2009-03-23 Simon Josefsson <simon at josefsson.org> wrote:
>> I'm going to release libtasn1 v2.0 in a week or so, please test the
>> following archive to make sure the official release will work fine.
>
>> http://daily.josefsson.org/libtasn1/libtasn1-20090323.tar.gz
>
> Hello Simon,
>
> iirc previous pre-releases featured a soname bump, but this one does
> not. Does the ASN1_BUILDING stuff do away with the need for the
> changed soname? (My gut feeling says no, but I do not claim to be able
> to currently understand what happens or b argue any case. ;-)

I believe it is now both API and ABI compatible, and thus there is no
ABI bump required.  The ASN1_BUILDING is just there to make the library
use a slightly different struct definition internally: but it is
compatible with the externally visible one.

Having more eyes verify API/ABI compatibility would be good though.

If we can preserve API/ABI compatibility I think we should do it.