[gnutls-dev] Time-based release schedule and GnuTLS v2.2 plans

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Tue Sep 11 11:00:36 CEST 2007

I like the time-based release schedule of Gnome, Ubuntu etc, so I'd like
to do the same for GnuTLS.  I'm thinking of having 3 stable releases per
year.  I'm not sure about the timing, but considering that we just had a
stable release, I'm thinking 1 January, 1 May and 1 September.  What do
you think?

We need to begin planning for v2.2 as well.  Here are some ideas:

* Integrate CAMELLIA support, we have a patch and copyright papers but
  the patch need some attention.

* Opaque PRF Input support.  I'm working on this now.

* Better TLS extension API.  Make it possible to define a TLS extension
  from the application or third party library.  Not sure if this is
  useful, it is rather simple to add it inside the library now.

Wishful thinking:

* Integrate tighter PKCS#11 support.

* Optimization -- run cachegrind on the test-suite etc.

* Separate X.509 stuff into a separate library.  Especially the PKCS#8
  and PKCS#7 stuff.  This would lead to a smaller library for embedded
  systems.

More ideas?