[gnutls-dev] Starting Guile integration

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Fri Jun 8 13:45:12 CEST 2007

ludo at chbouib.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

>>> There are still a couple of minor glitches:
>>>
>>>   * Code in `guile/src' doesn't want to be compiled with
>>>     `-Wstrict-prototypes'.  Since adding `-Wno-strict-prototypes'
>>>     doesn't annul the effect of `-Wstrict-prototypes', I'm afraid we'll
>>>     have to remove `-Wstrict-prototypes' at the project level (i.e, in
>>>     `configure.in'), and add it to `CFLAGS' in sub-directories where it
>>>     makes sense.
>>
>> Ouch.  What is the reason the code needs this?  Maybe we can fix that
>> problem instead.  It seems to build for me now, though, with warnings,
>> but I'd rather have warning messages than potentially hiding other
>> problems.
>
> I fixed this by tweaking `AM_CFLAGS' (see Git log for details, commit
> befacfea1d24f2b6b43ecdf12a22f47b160f39b6).

Let's see if I can manage to review patches before pulling them into the
repository this time...

>> It may be possible to re-define the function index somehow, perhaps we
>> could ask on the texinfo list about this.  I think it would be cleaner
>> to have a separate C API index and Scheme API index.  Although it is not
>> important to fix this before the first releases.
>
> After reading `(texinfo.gz)Functions Commands' and related nodes, I
> couldn't find a way to do this.  It seems that the `@def*' macros cannot
> be instructed to use a specific index.

I didn't find anything either.  Sigh.  I'll ask on the texinfo list.

>>> For some reason, `make' now fails here in `doc/reference':
>>>
>>>   $ make -C doc/reference/
>>>   make: Entering directory `/home/ludo/src/gnutls/doc/reference'
>>>   gtk-doc: Scanning header files
>>>   [...]
>>>   gtk-doc: Compiling scanner
>>>   gnutls-scan.c:5:25: error: glib-object.h: No such file or directory
>>>   [...]
>>>
>>> Clearly, it lacks `pkg-config glib-2.0 --cflags` as CFLAGS.
>>> Unfortunately, I wasn't able to pinpoint the root of the problem.
>>> Re-running `autoreconf' and `configure' didn't help.  Any hint?
>>
>> Hm, which gtk-doc-tools version are you using?
>
> I'm using 1.8-3 from Debian sid.  I still haven't found any way around
> it.  :-(

Weird, I'm using the same version.  The file glib-object.h is in
libglib2.0-dev, does it help to install that package?  If so, I would
consider it a bug in gtk-doc-tools, it should depend on that package.

> Hopefully, this is all looking better now.  Let me know if you notice
> any other annoyance.

I'll see if I can make a release now, so we can get the guile stuff out
there for others to test.