[gnutls-dev] Re: GnuTLS 1.5.4 aka 1.6.0rc1 - experimental

Simon Josefsson jas at extundo.com
Fri Nov 10 15:27:15 CET 2006

Andreas Metzler <ametzler at downhill.at.eu.org> writes:

> On 2006-11-07 Simon Josefsson <jas at extundo.com> wrote:
>> Simon Josefsson <jas at extundo.com> writes:
>
>> > ** API and ABI modifications:
>> > gnutls_transport_set_errno: ADD
>> > gnutls_transport_set_global_errno: ADD
>
>> Sigh, I forgot to bump the soname correctly, this will be fixed for
>> the next release...
>
> "Bump" as going from c:r:a to c+1:0:a+1, which iirc libtool would
> translate to libgnutls.so.13.1.1 --> libgnutls.so.13.2.0? So the
> actual soname would stay unchanged, I think.
>   cu and- Just trying to verify that my understanding of library
>   versioning is more or less correct. -reas

Yes, I have the same impression of how things should work.  I thought
of the 'soname' as referring to the entire c:r:a portion, but that is
probably incorrect.  I wish there were more precisely defined
terminology in this area; even Drepper's paper on how to write shared
libraries mix and match terminology in different sections.