[gnutls-dev] Re: gnutls's sonames

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at gnutls.org
Fri Mar 11 08:44:15 CET 2005

On Friday 11 March 2005 01:29, Tim Ringenbach wrote:

Hello,

> Thanks, that would be helpful. Of course, breaking abi compatalbity less
>   often would be even better ;)
This is a goal set from the beginning of the project but sometimes this could
be achieved. Since now the project is considered stable we shouldn't have
problems with it.

> > I can't speak for older releases, perhaps Nikos knows.  If you want to
> > do some archeology on the CVS server, and document what you find, that
> > would be a useful contribution!  Could be added as a section in the
> > manual, for instance.
> I asked a friend in #gaim and he was kind enough to look it up for me
> using rpmfind.net or something:
> <nosnilmot> gnutls 0.9.91 => libgnutls.so.8
> <nosnilmot> gnutls 0.8.10 => libgnutls.so.7
> <nosnilmot> gnutls 1.0.8 => libgnutls.so.10
Yes this is indeed the case. I tried to increase the so number only during
major releases (from 0.7->0.8->0.9->1.0). Unfortunately somewhere near
1.0.4 we needed to change the transport_ptr from integer to pointer, a change
that breaks the abi in 64 bit machines. So all 1.0.x releases after x>4 have a
soname of 10 instead of 9. However you shouldn't be concerned with x<=4 or
gnutls 0.8.y because of several other problems they had.

--
Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos