Let's do a GNU TSL

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Feb 24 19:15:35 CET 2000

On Thu, 24 Feb 2000, Nikos Mavroyanopoulos wrote:

> No the pseudorandom function here (i think the name is not a good choice)
> just expands a secret(key). (just like the s2k algorithms in openpgp).

I see.

> However i do not think rc2 is patented since rfc2268 describes rc2 and does not
> mention anything about patents. RC4 is used in almost all ssl implementations

According to the HAC: "RC2 is a block cipher proprietary to RSA Data
Security. (as is the stream cipher RC4)."  I don,t see a reason to
support such things. We better keep with standard block ciphers.  RC4
is a different thing becuase it seems it is widely used and an
independet but compatibel algoritm called arcfour exists.

Even if it is not patented, it is possible to violate the copyright.

Anyway, not a problem we can discuss this later and start with the
MUST algorithms.

   Werner