"Insecure memory" (yes setuid set) and "get_passphrase failed"

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Sep 5 09:06:22 CEST 2017

On Tue,  5 Sep 2017 02:45, marioxcc.MT at yandex.com said:

> Are you sure that this is required in Solaris? At least in Debian
> GNU/Linux there is no need to setuid the gpg binary to root. Root setuid
> programs are a security problem. If an attacker can get control of this
> program, he can operate with root privileges.

Actually gpg drops suid right after initializing memory and has several
checks to make sure that it has been dropped.  Any, I would ignore that
problem for now.  If the diagnostics is annoying

  no-secmem-warning

in gpg.conf can be used.

For the other problem I noticed that the gpg binary is pretty small and
thus I assume gpg is some kind of wrapper script.  Mote information on
the installation is needed, in particular the gnupg versions and how it
was build.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner