Why OpenPGP is not wanted - stupid is in vogue right now

Jan Eden net at janeden.net
Mon Jun 10 11:30:54 CEST 2013

Well... most people in 1940 were not capable of cracking the Enigma or
even aware of encryption technology.  In fact, most human beings are
"stupid" in that they do not seek to understand the inner workings of
systems around them.

This is simply a pragmatic approach: As long as something works as
expected, it will not be questioned. This is true for technical,
political and economic systems.

Media coverage of Prism or Facebook's, Google's etc. data handling will
not increase demand for encryption significantly unless many people are
affected directly (i.e. questioned by the FBI regarding some message
they sent).

On the other hand, ordinary people have adapted at remarkable speed to a
society which is much more complex and intellectualy demanding than 200
years ago. I would not underestimate the potential of the homo sapiens.

Kind regards,
Jan Eden