keys not available for signed messages in this maillist

Bernhard Kleine bernhard.kleine at gmx.net
Fri Apr 8 20:50:14 CEST 2011

Am Freitag, den 08.04.2011, 11:29 -0500 schrieb John Clizbe:
> Bernhard Kleine wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > i wonder whether the keys from several members of this maillist should
> > be available from the keyserver. e.g. Grant Olson signs all his messages
> > here. evolution and gpg on ubuntu, however, fail to retrieve the public
> > key from the server:
> >
> > the message always reads: signature exists, however, the public key is
> > required. I have already tried to use the key ID to look for the public
> > key, but, not too surprisingly, could not retrieve it. I have then seen,
> > that the key used for signing is one of Grant's subkey.
> >
> > My question now is, why are those subkeys not retrieved?
>
> Client configuration issue? The keys are out there on the servers. Which
> server(s) are you searching? Is that server online?
> Does gpg --search-keys work from the command line? Does gpg --recv-keys?
>
> http://pool.sks-keyservers.net:11371/pks/lookup?search=kgo%40grant-olson.net&fingerprint=on&op=index
>
> > I do not at all want to blame Grant, John Clizbe's key and that of
> > others can equally not be retrieved.
>
> Which keys of mine can you not retrieve? I normally sign with two. Currently
> they are 0xD6569825 and 0x435BD034.
>
> _ALL_ of the keys I use publicly are available on the SKS keyservers. I also
> know those of Grant's are also available as I recently updated them with gpg
> --refresh-key.
>
> http://pool.sks-keyservers.net:11371/pks/lookup?search=clizbe&fingerprint=on
>
> http://pool.sks-keyservers.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xEB5E19F3D6569825
>
> http://pool.sks-keyservers.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x2313315C435BD034
>
> You may wish^W^W need to check your keyserver configuration. It obviously has a
> problem.
Sorry for ambiguous wording with the "should".

I am quite sure that Grant Olson's key is on the keyserver, thus there
is no matter of hiding it, as robert j.hansen suggested. however, i
wonder why i can't retrieve it.

gpg --search-keys A18A54D
gpg: Suche nach "A18A54D" von hkp Server pool.sks-keyservers.net
gpg: Schlüssel "A18A54D" am Schlüsselserver nicht gefunden

i.d. search for A18A54D on hkp server ..
key A18A54D not found at the keyserver.

on the command line!

on the interaction page of sks-keyservers.net the key cannot found
either.

Any help appreciated.

Bernhard