SOCKS4A/SOCKS5 proxy support?

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Mon Sep 24 01:43:06 CEST 2012

Hi there,

This is a rather messy issue which could be resolved in a few different
ways - I've been thinking that the right answer is to enhance GnuPG's
proxy support.

In developing TorBirdy (
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/torbirdy and
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/torbirdy/ ), we have
come across an issue where a Thunderbird user with Enigmail may invoke
GnuPG in a way that directly connects to the internet (
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/6940 ).

We found that setting an HTTP proxy as a gpg commandline flag worked
perfectly fine but only if the user has a properly configured HTTP
proxy. Sadly, around zero users have this configuration and so we've
removed the configuration.

Even more sadly, we now have no way to invoke GPG and route it through
Tor - Engimail will gladly set any commandline flag we wish but it
appears that GnuPG does not support any kind of proxy beyond HTTP.

Are there any plans to add support to gpg for SOCKS5? Would such a thing
be a welcome patch?

All the best,
Jacob