LDAP keyserver patch

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Wed Sep 12 01:16:02 CEST 2001

On Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 12:01:20AM -0400, David Shaw wrote:

> For what it's worth, I developed the patch with 2.0.12.  The keyserver
> code doesn't use anything but the most basic features of LDAP, so it
> should work with pretty much any vaguely recent version of OpenLDAP.

> > 	I'm just now getting this patch cooking with 1.0.6.  The ldap
> > patches serve a serious need in my case (a corporate commercial pgp
> > keyserver that's only serving up ldap).  This would be a nice addition.
> >
> > 	Getting the patch for 1.0.6a (or whatever it's leading up to)
> > would also be nice.

> Yes.  As soon as 1.0.6a becomes 1.0.7 (or whatever) I'll have a
> revised patch out.  1.0.6a is an experimental release which shouldn't
> be used for real work yet anyway.  (The existing patch may actually
> work with 1.0.6a if you patched the Makefiles and configure parts by
> hand.)

> > 	Now to see if it works.  :-)  Project to terrorize our IT
> > department with tomorrow.  "Hey guys, I'm testing out the new gnupg
> > ldap code from Linux today.  Might want to keep and eye on that ldap
> > server for a bit!"  :-)  (Last time I added my Linux system to the
> > NT admin domain as a PDC and they freaked! :-) )

> Let me know how it works for you.  I beat on it pretty hard before
> releasing the patch.  Torment it a bit and see if you can break it :)

	Seems to work really nice.  There is one thing I can do with pgp,
though, that doesn't seem to work.  Looks like the keyserver code only
works with key ids.  If I try a user name, it fails.  I tried running
gpgkeys_ldap directly and it refused to find the name even though I
can specify "-kv {name} ldap://keyserver" to pgp and have that work
perfect against the same key server.

	I suppose that will require a different flavor of search code.  :-)

	Continuing to beat on it...  :->

> David

> --
>    David Shaw  |  dshaw at jabberwocky.com  |  WWW http://www.jabberwocky.com/
>    "There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
>       We don't believe this to be a coincidence." - Jeremy S. Anderson

	Mike
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/