LDAP keyserver patch

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Tue Sep 11 07:04:02 CEST 2001

On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 11:30:05PM -0400, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 09:38:09PM +0200, Werner Koch wrote:
> > On Mon, 10 Sep 2001 08:03:02 -0400, David Shaw said:
>
> > > The FSF web page says the OpenLDAP licence is not GPL-compatible.
> > > Hence the comment in the code, as described on the FSF web page:
>
> > The latest OpenLDAP release (2.0.3?) has a new license (2.7) which IMO
> > is compatible to the GPL.
>
> 	Latest stable, according to their site (www.openldap.org),
> is 2.0.11.  RedHat 7.1 has 2.0.7 on it.  RedHat 7.2 Beta2 has 2.0.11.
>
> 	Latest and greatest, according to the openldap site, is 2.0.14,
> but I don't have any rpm builds of that and it's not even on RedHat
> Rawhide.

For what it's worth, I developed the patch with 2.0.12.  The keyserver
code doesn't use anything but the most basic features of LDAP, so it
should work with pretty much any vaguely recent version of OpenLDAP.

> 	I'm just now getting this patch cooking with 1.0.6.  The ldap
> patches serve a serious need in my case (a corporate commercial pgp
> keyserver that's only serving up ldap).  This would be a nice addition.
>
> 	Getting the patch for 1.0.6a (or whatever it's leading up to)
> would also be nice.

Yes.  As soon as 1.0.6a becomes 1.0.7 (or whatever) I'll have a
revised patch out.  1.0.6a is an experimental release which shouldn't
be used for real work yet anyway.  (The existing patch may actually
work with 1.0.6a if you patched the Makefiles and configure parts by
hand.)

> 	Now to see if it works.  :-)  Project to terrorize our IT
> department with tomorrow.  "Hey guys, I'm testing out the new gnupg
> ldap code from Linux today.  Might want to keep and eye on that ldap
> server for a bit!"  :-)  (Last time I added my Linux system to the
> NT admin domain as a PDC and they freaked! :-) )

Let me know how it works for you.  I beat on it pretty hard before
releasing the patch.  Torment it a bit and see if you can break it :)

David

--
   David Shaw  |  dshaw at jabberwocky.com  |  WWW http://www.jabberwocky.com/