[gnutls-help] Guile-Gnutls bindings to separate git repo?

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Fri Oct 7 13:17:06 CEST 2022

> I’m fine having it as a sub-project under gitlab.com/gnutls.
> Otherwise,
> if it’s not a sub-project, it can just as well be on notabug.org say.
>
> Building the new repo will require ‘git filter-branch’ magic to get
> guile/, doc/, and maybe configure.ac bits.

Now there is https://gitlab.com/jas/guile-gnutls created like this:

git clone https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls.git guile-gnutls
cd guile-gnutls/
git-filter-repo --path configure.ac --path .gitignore --path
doc/.gitignore --path README.md --path doc/ --path guile/ --path
Makefile.am  --path m4/guile.m4 --path NEWS
git remote add guile-gnutls git at gitlab.com:jas/guile-gnutls.git
git push -u guile-gnutls --all
git push -u guile-gnutls --tags

Is this a suitable base to start on?  Maybe we can iterate a couple of
times to get a suitable setup, I think we should prune some more in
doc/ which according to git-filter-repo man pages should be done by
another run of it to prune the repository further.  Getting a top-level
configure.ac and Makefile.am is a main work item here.

Is https://notabug.org/cwebber/guile-gcrypt a good template for a guile
language binding of a C library?  I prefer to put the manual in doc/
but otherwise it looks good.  Compared to the above setup, we may want
to rename guile/ into gnutls/.

One we are happy with the git repo, I would like it to be at
gitlab.com/gnutls since then we get CI/CD build testing which I don't
think notabug offers?  There should probably be a --path .gitlab-ci.yml
above too.

One question is about version numbers.. it should probably have its own
version number, right?  Would starting at 0.0.0 be a problem for
packaging, or should we start with 3.7.8 (upstream gnutls version) and
then count upwards (separate from GnuTLS versions) from there?  I
prefer starting with 0.0.0 and using semantic versioning from the
start.

/Simon