[gnutls-help] DANE caching with dane_state_t

Rick van Rein rick at openfortress.nl
Mon Apr 25 13:26:34 CEST 2016

Hello,

I am not certain how to use dane_state_t.  I found

    Note that the dane_state_t structure that is accepted by
    both verification functions is optional. It is required
    when many queries are performed to facilitate caching. The
    following flags are returned by the verify functions to
    indicate the status of the verification.

I assume it is not really "required" under this vague ("many queries")
constraint.

I would however like to use caching.  Should I
[A] use a separate dane_state_t on each query, with its own
    dane_state_init() and dane_state_deinit() around it, or
[B] share one setup by dane_state_init() when initialising my
    program and one dane_state_deinit() when tearing it up?

Thanks,
 -Rick