Error when using an encrypted private key

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at gnutls.org
Sat Jan 14 09:51:59 CET 2012

On 01/13/2012 09:44 PM, Jason Cooper wrote:

> I'm using Linux Mint 12, which comes with GnuTLS 2.10.5. I'm working
> on configuring Git with https. On Linux Mint, Git is using GnuTLS
> under the hood, so I'm hoping this is the right place to get help.

Hellom
 GnuTLS is a library. How it is being used depends on
the application.

[...]

> What I'm really wondering is can I use encrypted keys with GnuTLS

> 2.10.5? If so, any hints on what else could be the problem? I'd
> really prefer to not have my private key stored in the clear.

How did you encrypt your private key? GnuTLS supports two types of
encrypted keys. PKCS #8 and PKCS #12 [0].

btw. gnutls-cli doesn't support encrypted keys, use certtool to read them.

[0].
http://www.gnu.org/software/gnutls/manual/html_node/Managing-encrypted-keys.html