example for tls authz extension

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at gnutls.org
Sun Jan 10 12:11:14 CET 2010

LATZE Carolin wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> according to the NEWS file, there should be example files for the tls authz extension in doc/examples, but there are no file implementing that extension in there.... Why did they disappear?

Hi,
 tls-authz was removed from gnutls due to patent reasons:

* Version 2.1.3 (released 2007-10-17)

** TLS authorization support removed.
This technique may be patented in the future, and it is not of crucial
importance for the Internet community.  After deliberation we have
concluded that the best thing we can do in this situation is to
encourage society not to adopt this technique.  We have decided to
lead the way with our own actions.