[gnutls-devel] GnuTLS | guile bindings do not build with pkgsrc (on NetBSD) (#996)

Read-only notification of GnuTLS library development activities gnutls-devel at lists.gnutls.org
Mon Aug 24 09:57:22 CEST 2020

Nikita Gillmann commented on a discussion: https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/-/issues/996#note_400864585

I'm closing this because I choose to invest my energy in other topics. Your proposal doesn't align with reality, as I tried to explain before, in Linux, MingW, as well as some BSD systems. It aligns with what some do, but it doesn't match what everyone does. I'd be happy to point to a more thorough explanation than this:

> Configuration Name Definition
>
>This is a string of the form cpu-manufacturer-operating_system. In some cases, this is extended to a four part form: cpu-manufacturer-kernel-operating_system.
>
> When using a configuration name in a configure option, it is normally not necessary to specify an entire name. In particular, the manufacturer field is often omitted, leading to strings such as i386-linux or sparc-sunos. The shell script config.sub will translate these shortened strings into the canonical form. autoconf will arrange for config.sub to be run automatically when it is needed.

source: https://www.rpi.edu/dept/cis/software/g77-mingw32/info-html/configure.html  (1998)

Similar quotes are found in the 2012 version.

What I provided before was knowledge we work with for a very long time.

'Unknown' would simply be wrong, NetBSD has no vendors. 'Unknown' has been selected default by some distributors, but as explained before in practice you also see no vendor (field omitted) more often. So I don't really understand why you are trying to explain my explanation to me.