[gnutls-devel] GnuTLS | Notes about Ubuntu specific software versions not available. (!1029)

Development of GNU's TLS library gnutls-devel at lists.gnutls.org
Thu Jun 20 12:48:17 CEST 2019

I have changed the typo and added the option to compile it also from source.

>From a user perspective the APT-Pinning set-up can be done following a tutorial in 30 minutes. Compiling all sources manually would mean here possibly compiling all modules the software is depending on in the right version, too. This can be simple but if the module has dependencies also to software not available in the target Ubuntu/Debian release this can cascade to other modules. Then this is more a multi hour approach.
Finally, if this compilation succeeds, the binaries have to be installed, overwriting actually the versions of the installed packages so that `pkgconfig` or `make` can find it. I.e. the package system is not in sync anymore. Is there a simple solution for this problem?