[gnutls-devel] GnuTLS | Deadlock in _gnutls_epoch_get on mutex epoch_lock with msmtp and gnutls 3.6.7 (#758)

Development of GNU's TLS library gnutls-devel at lists.gnutls.org
Mon Apr 29 12:12:36 CEST 2019

New Issue was created.

Issue 758: https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/issues/758
Author:    YmrDtnJu
Assignee:

## Description of problem:
[msmtp](https://marlam.de/msmtp/) gets stuck in a deadlock on mutex session->internals.epoch_lock in function _gnutls_epoch_get with gnutls version 3.6.7. The mutex has been introduced in commit 2db896b7fd3258851898652e9ddef7335f23e450. I am not sure if this is a bug in gnutls or in msmtp. Maybe msmtp fails to initialize gnutls correctly, but it works with version 3.6.6 so I suspect, that the commit may assume a specific usage of the gnutls API that msmtp (and maybe other software) does not adhere.

## Version of gnutls used:
3.6.7

## Distributor of gnutls (e.g., Ubuntu, Fedora, RHEL)
Gentoo

## How reproducible:
Use msmtp with gnutls 3.6.7. It gets stuck trying to initiate a TLS connection to the SMTP server using STARTTLS.

## Actual results:
Deadlock.

## Expected results:
msmtp successfully sending an e-mail over a TLS connection to an SMTP server.