[gnutls-devel] GnuTLS | Importing ED25519 in pubkey (#613)

Development of GNU's TLS library gnutls-devel at lists.gnutls.org
Tue Nov 13 09:17:19 CET 2018

> If the parametes is only “x” then the documentation of gnutls_pubkey_import_ecc_raw shall be updated to state

I agree it makes sense. I've sent a potential update of this text as part of !799. Feel free to open pull requests with documentation updates.

> [RFC6376](https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6376#section-5.5) says “The Signer MUST compute the message hash as described in Section 3.7 and then sign it using the selected public-key algorithm.”

> gnutls_pubkey_verify_hash2() calls _gnutls_pk_is_not_prehashed() which fails for ed25519.

> How shall the requirement to sign the hash from RFC6376 be implemented in GnuTLS for Ed25519, as presented in RFC8463?  In particular which function shall verify the signature of the signed hash?

This text cannot literally apply to ed25519 because it is designed to directly hash the data (hashing with sha512 is part of the signature). How it applies to the rfcs you describe is something I do not know. I know however that the knotdns guys have already implemented that part using gnutls, so I'd recommend to check how they have done it.