[gnutls-devel] GnuTLS | Update cipher-openssl-compat.c for LibreSSL abuse of OPENSSL_VERSION_NUMBER (!845)

Development of GNU's TLS library gnutls-devel at lists.gnutls.org
Tue Dec 25 12:03:30 CET 2018

I don't know about OS X but this is what happens w/ LibreSSL 2.8.3 as the SSL API installed on CentOS 7 (w/ vendor openssl headers NOT installed)

First error building test program:

    make[3]: Nothing to be done for `test-ciphers-openssl.sh'.
      CC       cipher-openssl-compat.o
      CCLD     gendh
      CCLD     crypto
      CCLD     cipher-test
      CCLD     cipher-api-test
      CCLD     hash-large
      CCLD     mac-override
      CCLD     cipher-override
    cipher-openssl-compat.c: In function 'cipher_test':
    cipher-openssl-compat.c:101:4: error: void value not ignored as it ought to be
        assert(EVP_CIPHER_CTX_init(ctx)==1);
        ^
    make[3]: *** [cipher-openssl-compat.o] Error 1

Second error running test if first is patched for:

    FAIL: test-ciphers-openssl.sh

    cipher: aes-128-gcm
    cipher: aes-256-gcm
    cipher: chacha20-poly1305
    cipher_test:94: EVP_get_cipherbyname failed for chacha20-poly1305
    default cipher tests failed
    FAIL test-ciphers-openssl.sh (exit status: 1)

It may be different than OS X issue, I just the OS X issue was related to `EVP_CIPHER_CTX_init()` which is the case with LibreSSL.

I *think* OS X (er MacOS or whatever) is using LibreSSL 2.7.x