[gnutls-devel] GnuTLS | WIP: Winstore patches (!835)

Development of GNU's TLS library gnutls-devel at lists.gnutls.org
Wed Dec 12 18:11:21 CET 2018

Hugo Beauzée-Luyssen commented on a discussion on lib/system.c:

>  	gnutls_gettime = _gnutls_gettime;
>  }
>
> +#if _WIN32
> +#include <tchar.h>
> +TCHAR *str_to_wide(const char *utf8)

I think it would be a good idea.
IMO you should enable it by default (ie. simply add -D_UNICODE=1 to your CFLAGS). Windows relies on that macro to switch between multiple functions & types, so as far as the build system goes, that's the only change. That being said, it will most likely break a lot of things. It might be quite a bit of work to change that.
For VLC we do enforce unicode when building for windows store (there is no choice), and it worked to a certain extent (we are having some issues with the recent versions and it's hard to debug since our builds don't have PDBs yet)

Regarding the switch to native builds, all I can say is that VideoLAN only does cross compilation and it has worked fine for quite some time, and building on Windows using things such as msys2 is slow as hell, on top of being quite painful from time to time.