[gnutls-devel] TLS 1.2 Session Ticket reviewed

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at gnutls.org
Sat Sep 30 16:08:36 CEST 2017

On Fri, 2017-09-29 at 16:11 +0200, Tim Rühsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> here [1] is an interesting read about TLS 1.2 session tickets and why
> we
> should not use them. Not totally new, but a good summary of the
> status
> and a nice reading for anyone interested in network security.
>

> [1] https://blog.filippo.io/we-need-to-talk-about-session-tickets/

That's a very nice write-up and kind of underlines the importance of
session key rotation suggested by Daniel [0]. Although TLS 1.3 is
coming, we will have to live with TLS 1.2 for at least a decade.

That post also stresses the importance of forward secrecy, which few
years ago would have completely agreed with. However, in the long run,
sessions which use forward secrecy with elliptic curves today, will be
attacked more effectively by quantum computers as opposed to pure pre-
shared keys. Nevertheless, that's the long run, and as they say, we all
die in the long run.

regarsd,
Nikos

[0]. https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/issues/184