[gnutls-devel] gnutls 3.5.5

Stefan Bühler stbuehler at lighttpd.net
Fri Oct 21 20:08:07 CEST 2016

Hi,

On 10/09/2016 08:34 PM, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos wrote:
> Hello,
>  I've just released gnutls 3.5.5. This is an enhancements and
> bugfix release for the 3.5.x branch.
>
> * Version 3.5.5 (released 2016-10-09)
> [...]
>
> ** libgnutls: The gnutls_certificate_set_key* functions return an
>    index of the added chain. That index can be used either with
>    gnutls_certificate_set_ocsp_status_request_file(), or with
>    gnutls_certificate_get_crt_raw() and friends.
> [...]
>
> ** API and ABI modifications:
> gnutls_certificate_set_ocsp_status_request_function2: Added
> gnutls_session_ext_register: Added
> gnutls_session_supplemental_register: Added
> GNUTLS_E_PK_INVALID_PUBKEY: Added
> GNUTLS_E_PK_INVALID_PRIVKEY: Added

I'd like to point out that gnutls_certificate_set_key* had an API
incompatible change: they now might return integers > 0 when successful,
which breaks previously documented behaviour of always returning
GNUTLS_E_SUCCESS (i.e. 0).

I already pointed this out when reviewing the change, see:

    https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/merge_requests/65#note_15134877

Nikos, how do you want to handle this in the future? Should I always
check for `>= GNUTLS_E_SUCCESS` in my code when testing for success?

If so this should be properly reflected throughout the documentation.

regards,
Stefan