[gnutls-devel] Automatic library initialization

Andy Lutomirski luto at amacapital.net
Mon Nov 16 19:45:19 CET 2015

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 10:37 AM, Tim Rühsen <tim.ruehsen at gmx.de> wrote:
> Am Montag, 16. November 2015, 19:10:02 schrieb Andrew W. Nosenko:
>> On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 6:24 PM, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos <nmav at gnutls.org>
>>
>> wrote:

>> > I'll then include it in 3.4.x and 3.3.x releases.
>>
>> First at all, IMHO, _current_ API, which eliminates requirement to call
>> explicitly some init function is a good.  And the "old-style API" with
>> requirement to call some init function before any thread and/or child
>> processes will be forked, which you want to resurrect, is a bad.
>>
>> Very simple example: DSO uses some library, which have requirement to
>> global init.  DSO loaded on demand.  How you meet this "global init before
>> any thread forked" requirement?
>
> I already wrote some words regarding this scenario earlier in this thread.
> Please re-read.
>
> Despite that, Nikos found a solution that doesn't touch current behavior.
>
> Tim

What exactly does gnutls do during initialization that takes this much
time?  Could it be made to generate whatever tables it needs at
compile time?

(I guess it needs to self-tests, but that should only apply in FIPS
mode, which shouldn't be the default.)

--Andy

Andy Lutomirski
AMA Capital Management, LLC