[gnutls-devel] Automatic library initialization

Tim Ruehsen tim.ruehsen at gmx.de
Mon Nov 16 11:02:48 CET 2015

Hi Nikos,

after thinking a bit, ... having GNUTLS_NO_EXPLICIT_INIT is nice, but does not
solve my issue.

We are in a world of mixed plain-text and TLS connections. The library doesn't
know what will be requested (TLS or plain text) - but it rushes ahead and does
a heavyweight initialization in any case. This is IMO a bad idea (think of
'Green IT', embedded devices, low power apps, etc).

I recognize the additional CPU usage when tuning my projects to less CPU
utilization. Dynamic loading GnuTLS doesn't make sense right now. Tuning any
other code doesn't make sense (GnuTLS load factor of ~60 in comparison to the
rest of the code).

IMO, you should revert your decision and should not automatic initialize. For
someone who badly needs that (beyond my imagination right now), a ./configure
flag and GNUTLS_NO_EXPLICIT_INIT should do it. Maybe it should be
GNUTLS_AUTOMATIC_INIT, defaulting to 0.

Just my thoughts.

Regards, Tim