[gnutls-devel] TLS connection improperly terminated

Martin Hecht hecht at hlrs.de
Thu Jul 30 14:32:06 CEST 2015

On 07/30/2015 04:41 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg at fifthhorseman.net>
>> Cc: rustompmody at gmail.com, bugs at gnutls.org
>> Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 17:24:53 -0400

>>> Not sure what you want to hear in response.  As you well know,
>>> invoking GnuTLS involves an elaborate setup, which calls many
>>> different GnuTLS functions.  The function that actually fails is
>>> gnutls_handshake, I think.
>> You're saying that gnutls_handshake fails, but the application continues
>> to use the network connection?
> Maybe.  As I mentioned, I cannot reproduce the problem on my machine,
If it works for some people and is not reproducible for others, could it
be that it fails due to a shaky network connection?

This should be handled on the TCP layer, but if one side notices it and
does retransmits and the session layer doesn't handle it properly - or
more precisely, it is able to resume (otherwise the application wouldn't
be able to use the connection afterwards), but somehow the hiccup is
communicated up to the presentation and application layer (if not
explicitly, but maybe by reaching some timeouts there?)