[gnutls-devel] TLS connection improperly terminated

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Wed Jul 29 20:41:28 CEST 2015

On Wed 2015-07-29 14:13:25 -0400, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg at fifthhorseman.net>
>> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz at gnu.org>, bugs at gnutls.org
>> Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 13:58:27 -0400
>>
>> > However the point to be noted is that I get a list of packages alright.
>> > So I dont know what you mean by "connection failed"
>>
>> presumably the list of packages available at each repository is fetched
>> over a TLS connection (if you used https).  If the connection to the
>> repository fails (due to TLS or other failures) this is what the warning
>> is about.
>
> The connection to marmalade doesn't fail.

So this is a non-fatal warning that is reported back to emacs?  how is
emacs invoking gnutls here?

> Each package is shown with its source, and quite a few of them are
> from marmalade, so the connection to marmalade seems to have
> succeeded, and the data was probably successfully retrieved.

interesting, and confusing.  I tend to agree with you from an
application perspective that the warning without a connection abort
doesn't seem to be particularly actionable (though maybe this discussion
will encourage the marmalade ops to fix their certchain), and that it
seems like the connection should probably fail closed instead of failing
open.

        --dkg