[gnutls-devel] Symbol versioning in gnutls broken -> crashes

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at gnutls.org
Thu Sep 25 14:14:13 CEST 2014

On Mon, 2014-09-15 at 15:49 +0200, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 9:46 AM, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos
> <nmav at gnutls.org> wrote:
> > I'm wondering whether there is some way to transition to a new ABI
> > without breaking the old one. I'll try to see whether the ld script
> > allows such move.
> Ok, it seems that adding a new VERSION section with all the symbols in
> the beginning of libgnutls.map, makes the default symbols to be the
> new, but also exposes the old ones. So we can have a slow migration to
> a new ABI, in the 3.4.0 release. However, That is not really
> documented in [0], and I wonder whether we can rely on that.

Unfortunately from what I could get from a brief thread in binutils, the
only way to set a default symbol is through an explicit tag of the
function. Thus my understanding is that we can't rely on that.

Nevertheless, that would allow a program compiled in debian to work on
other systems too. That doesn't sound ideal, but I think it is better
than having completely incompatible versions around. What do you think?