[gnutls-devel] Symbol versioning in gnutls broken -> crashes

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at gnutls.org
Thu Sep 11 22:56:14 CEST 2014

On Sat, 2014-05-24 at 08:58 +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:

> Anyway, this causes hard crashes like in
> <https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=746641#37> or
> <https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=748742#37>.
>
> Fixing this in gnutls' source is pretty easy: In gnutls.map move the
> contents of GNUTLS_1_4, GNUTLS_2_8, GNUTLS_2_10 and GNUTLS_2_12 to
> GNUTLS_3_0_0. However it breaks the ABI, everything linking against
> gnutls3 will need to be rebuilt after the change. Afaiu a soname bump
> would therefore be the correct thing.

Hi Andreas,
 I get back on that, as I noticed that now applications linked against
gnutls in fedora wouldn't work in debian and vice-versa. While that may
not be an issue in software compiled in debian for debian, it will be
for any other software. For example I use a debian-based docker
container to test the openconnect server, and that fails to execute the
server if compiled in any other system. Closed source programs using
gnutls will have the same issue.