[gnutls-devel] Emacs 24, 25, and future integration of GnuTLS 2.x vs. 3.x

Ted Zlatanov tzz at lifelogs.com
Fri Nov 28 02:09:39 CET 2014

On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 15:42:01 -0500 Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg at fifthhorseman.net> wrote:

DKG> I strongly recommend switching to 3.x as soon as possible, and not
DKG> committing long-term to anything in the 2.x series.

DKG> If you care about debian stable, Jessie will not have 2.x at all, and
DKG> 3.x is well-supported in wheezy-backports already.
DKG> I don't think 2.x is receiving much upstream attention at all right now.

Hello again, and thank you so much for the answers.

One of the Emacs maintainers, Stefan Monnier, disagrees with my
interpretation of Daniel's message (Nikos' followup came later):

Stefan: "My reading of it doesn't say that we should only support
GnuTLS-3.x, but that we should start supporting GnuTLS-3.x ASAP."

Could you thus specifically recommend if the next major release, Emacs
25.1, should *require* GnuTLS 3.x and *drop* support for 2.x?  I believe
Nikos and Daniel are saying so, but want to be clear.

Thanks!
Ted