[gnutls-devel] Looking for OCSP Stapling client example

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at gnutls.org
Fri Nov 14 20:57:57 CET 2014

On Thu, 2014-11-13 at 11:47 +0100, Tim Ruehsen wrote:

> > > There is something strange with that server. I check the wireshark
> > > output of a connection to that server with openssl and the one with
> > > gnutls. They are different. With gnutls client the server doesn't
> > > advertise its support for ocsp and doesn't send the ocsp response. The
> > > contents of the extension sent by the client are the same in both
> > > cases.
> > I can't find a working web server. They seem to behave like movlib.org,
> > e.g. take blog.cloudflare.com:443.
> > They seemingly made lot's of tests:
> > http://blog.cloudflare.com/ocsp-stapling-how-cloudflare-just-made-ssl-30/
> More examples: yahoo.com and yandex.ru.

Thanks for insisting. It seems that there is an issue in libtasn1 which
does not properly re-encode these OCSP responses, and as far as I see
this is a persistent issue. OCSP responders must have switched from
setting the issuer's DN to setting the SHA1 hash of the key, and that
must have uncovered the issue. I don't think if I can manage to work on
libtasn1, but I've worked around the issue in gnutls 3.3 branch, so
unfortunately you cannot rely on the verification of OCSP stapled