[gnutls-devel] what should be the actual security level of SECURE128?

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at gnutls.org
Mon Feb 10 10:07:11 CET 2014

On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 3:50 PM, Tim Ruehsen <tim.ruehsen at gmx.de> wrote:

>> So the question is what should we do in gnutls. Make SECURE128 just a
>> string that provides better security than NORMAL, or enforce the 128-bit
>> level when this string is specified? The latter will have quite some
>> implications as a lot of software seems to specify SECURE128 as the
>> default priority string for no particular reason (and often with no way
>> to change it). Any ideas?
> As I understood, SECURE128 right now combines two different things, which in
> the docs (http://gnutls.org/manual/html_node/Priority-Strings.html) are named
> as
> 1) message authenticity security level
> 2) security level (i guess that means 'data encryption security level')
> You could add new keywords for 1) e.g. AUTH128 etc.
> Old software (recompiled or not) could still work with newer libraries.
> Adapted software will/can check for newer libraries available (at compile
> and/or run time) and may use the set of keywords at will.

Hello,
 The idea is to add a 3rd level as:
3) certificate verification level (i.e., signature check)

Adding a new initial keyword with the additional level it would make
it unaccessible to any of the software that use the SECURE128 and
SECURE256 keywords. I'd like even old software to take advantage from
new protection methods as time goes by and a new gnutls library is
available.

> Another option would be to have a new function to enable the new behavior at
> run-time.
> Maybe with some kind of non-fatal warning during handshake if the function
> hasn't been called and SECURE128 has been given without AUTH...?

As you suggest breaking old software isn't really reasonable, so what
I am thinking is to set very conservative security levels for
SECURE128 (the same as normal) for the 3rd option, and in a few years,
when SHA256 or better are widely used in certificates, we could
increase it. Of couse the ones who'd like to take advantage of the
better verification profiles could set them directly using the
%PROFILE additional keywords.