[gnutls-devel] Incompatibility between Emacs/gnutls and Emacs/cygwin-mount

Jeffrey J. Kosowsky jeff at kosowsky.org
Tue Oct 22 22:55:59 CEST 2013

I am running Emacs 24.3.1 under Windows 7 on an Intel core 5 machine.
I loaded in the latest gnutls-3.2.4-win32 binaries fron gnutls.org.

I then ran:
(open-gnutls-stream "tls" "tls-buffer" "imap.gmail.com" "imaps")

which leads to a sudden, *fatal* emacs crash. Emacs gives me the
following error in the message line before immediately crashing the
entire emacs process: GnuTLS error: #<proces IMAP over SSL>, -64

The Windows crash both then gives me the following error:
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
  Application Name:		emacs.exe
  Application Version:	24.2.50.0
  Application Timestamp:		5037d090
  Fault Module Name:			libgnutls-28.dll
  Fault Module Version:			0.0.0.0
  Fault Module Timestamp:		501d8392
  Exception Code:				c0000005
  Exception Offset:				0000657e
  OS Version:					6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
  Locale ID:					1033
  Additional Information 1:		0a9e
  Additional Information 2:		0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Additional Information 3:		0a9e
  Additional Information 4:		0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

I found that the crash is caused by an incompatibility with the
cygwin-mount library and in particular by a call to the cygwin program
mount.exe. Indeed, settting /bin/mount.exe to /bin/true.exe eliminates
the crash.

I presume that the issue is due to an incompatibility (probably with
cygwin.dll). Note that I am running Cygwin 1.7.25 x86_64, so perhaps
it is either a version incompatibility or an architecture
incompatibility.

Any thoughts on how to debug and fix?

See here for a thread on the Emacs bug report...

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/gnu.emacs.bug/bug$2315648/gnu.emacs.bug/KUGJTx5XpNY/mtSgDn7v-W8J